Monday, January 2, 2017

Sometimes you have to be mean to 'em.

What an amazing world we live in today. Staggeringly huge amounts of data are at our fingertips (literally) through a computer or a mobile phone (the magic box) you carry in your pocket. I'm still waiting for my jet car and robot maid but being able to get into a concert venue by someone scanning a pattern on my phone or watch is just....astonishing.

Gone are the days of rifling through the card catalog and schlepping from shelf to shelf to dig through a book to read half of a page and scribble a measurement for a part I'm building. Gone are the days of paging through your own Encyclopedia Britannica (and the every-growing number of update books). Part of me misses it (a small part) but my projects often come to a complete halt while I'm looking for that golden nugget of information. In the old days, if I thought I had an amazing idea or I figured out how to fix something, I could tell a friend or two and that's pretty much the extent of where that went.

How things have changed. I have learned much of what I know about building and fixing guitars from watching videos and reading articles on...the Interwebs. I was truly blessed to learn guitar building under Al Calderone at ARC Guitars in Winters, California as well, but the bulk of my knowledge comes from people sharing what they know through the great beast of the 'Net. Today if I want to share something, I pull my magig box out of my pocket and hit the LIVE STREAM button and just like that I'm sharing what is happening on my workbench with a huge chunk of humanity.

And so it goes. Today I did something mean. I cut a guitar in half on my bandsaw. It had been used as a weapon or to keep a car from rolling down a hill or some other such ill-advised task and was, at least for me, beyond repair. So I decided to part it down the middle to use it as an educational tool. And because of the power of the Interwebs, I was able to show the result to the world. You can even see it if you visit the RGR Facebook page.

Peavey Clarksdale is broken but not useless.

I'm a firm believer that everyone is really, really smart about something. EVERYBODY. The power of the Interwebs might just be the way for you to communicate what you're really really smart about to the world. Give it a shot. Someone out there is looking to learn what you know, and you never know where that may lead.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment