Friday, January 27, 2017

Today we learned...

...that some instruments never stop surprising you. I have a 1950s COLLEGIATE A-style mandolin that I've been working on now and again and today seemed like a good day to get a little bench time with it. I was working on getting the neck to properly sit into the neck cavity and realized that the fingerboard extension was not aligned properly. After a bit of examination I decided the proper thing to do was to remove it, clean up the joint and re-glue it to make the neck assembly more stable.
I was using a very thin kerf micro saw to clean out the open joint space and felt a metallic sensation, if only briefly. When I was able to finally remove the wood I noticed that there were not one but two nail heads in it. The neck had been premoved prior to me owning the instrument and someone had sawn through those nails. Were they factory nails? Who knows. But now I know that on inexpensive mandolins from the 1940-50s there just might be a surprise waiting in the most unlikely places.

Yes, those are nail heads. *sigh*

You can view the entire playlist for that particular instrument HERE. Cheers,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment