Friday, October 14, 2016

Write 31 Days- Day 14 Creative replacement?

Today my task was to re-create a broken bridge from the old guitar I'm working on. I wasn't trying to improve the part, just replace it. Any creativity I had would be trying to do the math to plot where the bridge pin holes would go on the new piece. But, it's problem solving so we get to use power tools to come up with a solution.

But my cat Reptar had his creative thing going on. Not sure what he was dreaming about but it radiated out of him like crazy and made for a mildly interesting photograph.

Reptar exuding good vibes in his sleep

As far as the bridge went it was pretty simple. I traced the old bridge as well as I could to get the general shape and location of the bridge pin holes and saddle notch. Then I did math to figure out the diameter of the holes and the spacing between them and transferred the results to the new piece of rosewood. A little work on the band saw, a little work on the sander and a bit of drilling and presto: one roughed-out bridge. Final saddle notch placement will happen when we're closer to being done but at least this part is done and out of the way.

broken bridge to paper to roughed-out bridge


BE creative folks.

3 comments: