Friday, October 7, 2016

Write 31 Days- Day 7 mechanical creativity

A short while ago a friend of mine told me that he knows that I'm still passionate about photography no matter what I'm working on at the time. I pressed him on the statement and he said it didn't matter what I was doing i.e. guitar building, organizing tools, on vacation my passion for photography showed in my images of even the most mundane subject. He was referencing a photo I had taken of my tools that had been picked up by Craftsman to put in their Instagram feed.

my tools on the Craftsman Instagram feed
It took me a minute to get what he meant. Often I don't even think about how I subconsciously look for a "better" angle or the "right" light for pictures of everyday this I want to document. Sometimes I put some conscious thought into it but mostly I am in "auto mode" and just get it done.

another subconscious "snapshot" from the phone
You can see where television camera operators can go from thinking in a pure technical more in the field to thinking artistically, especially if they're trying to get what's called B-roll or footage that will support a story or be used later on as background scenery. Just today, while watching coverage of Hurricane Matthew I saw one scene where there was some sea grass positioned in the lower-right intersection of the thirds** while the wave action against the pier was in the upper-left third. Nice to see them being able to flex their creative muscle every once and awhile.

Perhaps one can feel they're not creative because it has become normal or routine. If that's you, take a moment and think of the things you have been creative with in the past and see if you're doing them on "cruise control" in your everyday life without even realizing it.Realizing that may be what you  (or I) need to spark a more active participation on the creative process and to go to places you may not have even explored.



**for a simple explanation visit this website

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your friend! I see that photographer's instinct in your stuff all the time. Same with Cassandra. Y'all just can't help it!

    ReplyDelete